Federal Immigration programs

On January 1, 2015 the Federal government introduced the Express Entry Program, which is intended to expeditiously process qualified applicants for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker and Trades programs, the Canadian Experience Class and the Provincial Nominee Programs. However, it also requires that all applicants must meet the criteria of their specific class and the Express Entry requirements. To reach the required points to be chosen from the online pool many applicants may need a confirmed job offer. If an applicant needs a job offer, they may list their name on the Federal Job Bank (jobbank.gc.ca) and employers may then decide if they want to offer them a position. They may also find their job on their own. Some applicants with high points may not need a job offer.

A confirmed job offer has to be for permanent, full time employment in a NOC 0, A, or B occupation. In all cases, the employer must be willing to offer the applicant full time, indeterminate employment. The applicant may already be in Canada on a PNP or Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) based work permit but, if not, they may be required to acquire one as part of the application process. The job offer may come by way of a candidate listing their resume on jobbank.gc.ca, but is most likely to come from a job search they initiate themselves.

Qualified applicants may submit the Express Entry profile online and their application is then placed among a pool of applications. If the Federal government feels the applicant is at the required level in that pool of candidates, they may give the applicant an Invitation to Apply. If they do not meet the points standard for 12 months they will have to re-apply.

If you do not meet these criteria and are currently working in Canada on a valid work permit you may want to consider applying through one of the Provincial Nominee Workers Programs (Skilled Workers or Semi-Skilled Workers), or the Provincial Nominee Graduate or Post Graduate Student programs.

Federal Skilled Workers

To qualify for consideration as a Federal Skilled Worker under the eligible occupations, applicants must be qualified in any NOC 0, A, or B occupation, and have at least one year of full time experience in their profession in the last ten years, they must have the CLB 7 Benchmark in English or French, they must have a Canadian credential or a foreign credential with a positive assessment from a Canadian assessment agency, they must have enough money to take care of their family during the initial settlement period, and they may also require a confirmed job offer in their profession from a Canadian employer. This is done by way of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) as part of the new EXPRESS ENTRY PROGRAM introduced in January of 2015.

Federal Skilled Trades

The Federal government also allows trades people to apply for immigration to Canada. They have a new list of occupations issued annually with a set quota (see below). Applicants must be qualified in one of the listed trades, have two years of full time experience in the last 5 years, may also require a confirmed full time job offer from a Canadian employer. They also must have the required level of English or French.

All 90 skilled trades from the following NOC Skill Level B groups are eligible:

  • Major Group 72: Industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  • Major Group 73: Maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  • Major Group 82: Supervisors and technical occupations in national resources, agriculture and related production;
  • Major Group 92: Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
  • Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks;
  • Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.

For more details, please contact our office or complete an online enquiry form.